How to Identify Natural Grade A Jadeite Jade: Trained Eyes and Certification
Having years of experience, evaluating jade authenticity is a difficult and complicated task. Read on to find out how to check for real jade.
How to tell Real and Authentic Jadeite
According to GIA , a method of checking Jade authenticity is through its quality. Things such as texture, transparency, and color are important factors to consider. Besides buying a piece of certified jade, here are 5 quick ways to test if your jade is real and natural or not.
- Look for Air Bubbles – When stones used for jade jewelry are dyed, they become weaker and more brittle, and injected with polymers to make the jade stronger again. Sometimes, this will leave tiny air bubbles in the stone and that is a tell tale sign of a fake or altered jade. In addition, you should also hold the jade stone in the light to see if it has a smooth and bright color. A real jade stone has edges that should reflect light and be somewhat transparent.
- Verify Color – Natural jade should have variations of color within the stone and it should be consistent throughout. If the jade is too bright, too smooth, and too vivid, it is most likely dyed and chemically enhanced. These variations should also look natural on the jade jewelry piece.
- Temperature Check – Real jade should have a natural coolness to it. For this jade authenticity test, hold the stone tightly in your hand for 1-2 min to warm it up. If the stone is still cool, it is real jade, but if it warms up and is no longer cool, it is probably immitation jade! You can also put the stone to your face if it's easier.
- Scratch Test – Real jade is very hard and quite dense so it shouldn’t be easy to scratch. Do a scratch test with your fingernails or a pin by lightly rubbing against the jade’s surface. If it leaves a mark or easily scratches, it’s likely that the jade is fake.
- Sound Test for Density – For this test, you’ll need a piece of jade that you know is real. Tap the suspected jade against the real piece of jade several times and listen carefully for the sound. If the jade is real, it will make a deep, resonating sound, however, if it sounds like two plastic beads being tapped against each other, the jade is probably fake.
With these methods, you should be able to quickly tell your jade bracelet or jade earrings’ authenticity. After all of these tests, you can also go to a jeweler to examine the piece. Jewelers are trained to recognize fakes with their equipment. You should ask them to perform a density test and estimate the price of your jade. It might also be wise to ask multiple jewelers for their opinion. Purchasing a beautiful jade bracelet only to discover later that it is a forgery would be very disappointing. Oh no! You are entitled to better. The best way to verify if jade is real is by sending it to a certified gemology laboratory.
Unlike most jade retailers, each piece of jade jewelry purchased from Dahlia is ensured to be real with its very own certificate of authenticity. Dahlia’s jade is 100% genuine grade A jadeite jade. Every piece of jade is unique, so your certificate of authenticity will have a picture of your jade with its assigned certificate number. Below is an example of our jade dragon necklace certificate and what will come with your order.
The best and easiest way to verify the jade information of the certificate is by scanning the QR Code with your smartphone or go to www.gtzy123.com where one can input the Certificate ID & Total Mass to get the results on the right using the Certificate Query.
We invest the extra time and resources to have our jade jewelry certified by China’s National Gemstone Testing Center (NGTC) so that our customers can buy our jade with confidence. The NGTC is the highest authority for certifying jade gemstones, comparable to the GIA for diamonds in the United States. The NGTC certifications are acknowledged internationally by ILAC-MRA and CNAS and nationally by CMA.
Curious for more information on jade? Interested in purchasing your own jadeite jade jewelry? Visit us at https://www.dahliany.com/collections/jade
Follow our social media for blogs, promotions and more!
- Tags: altered jade beautiful jade bracelet certified jade fake jade Faux Jade Green How to tell Real Grade A Natural Jadeite Jade Imitation Jade Jade jade authenticity jade authenticity test jade bracelet jade dragon necklace jade jewelry jade jewelry piece jade stone Jewelry natural jade real jade verify if jade is real
- Angela Hu